This is Shaping Sustainable Places, a new Skanska podcast. We’re here to recognize, encourage and inspire stakeholders in the industry and beyond to accelerate the transition to a more sustainable, resilient, zero-carbon built environment. In each episode, we’ll be speaking with industry and civic leaders, policymakers and other champions of change to explore innovative solutions to real challenges.
How can cities prepare for the impact of climate change in ways that also improve social equity? In this episode of Shaping Sustainable Places, we discuss what cities are doing to become more resilient.
This episode features Sabrina Bornstein, Principal and Head of Climate Resilience at Buro Happold; Christopher Westley, Senior Vice President of Strategic Services at Skanska USA Commercial Development; and Sylvester Turner, Mayor of the City of Houston.
The guests discuss how they are helping cities adapt to new challenges posed by a changing climate:
- Sabrina explains the concept of climate resilience and how built environments can prepare to overcome both long-term and short-term climate challenges.
- Christopher describes the need for resilience to be an inclusive practice that accounts for diverse communities and meets the needs of underserved groups.
- Mayor Turner offers concrete examples of action steps that his city, Houston, has taken to build a more climate-resilient city, and how other cities can learn from their example.
Listen and subscribe to the podcast on:
Learn more at Foresight Hub.
Skanska is providing this podcast as a public service. Reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by Skanska. The views expressed by guests and hosts are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by Skanska employees are those of the employees and do not necessarily reflect the view of Skanska or any of its officials. While Skanska endeavors to keep the information up to date and correct, Skanska makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the podcast or the information, products or services mentioned in the podcast for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
Sabrina Bornstein, Head of Climate Resilience | Principal at Buro Happold
- Sylvester Turner, Mayor of Houston
Mayor's Biography (houstontx.gov)
- Christopher Westley, Senior Vice President, Strategic Services, at Skanska USA Commercial Development